Monday, May 12, 2014

Geeking Out! How I Started Writing

by Wendy Bennet

I always wonder how people got their start in writing. Where did the passion come from? What did others write when they started?

I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t reading or writing. Not to say the writing was good, mind you. I started writing poetry because I loved to read poetry. Probably why I went on to get my Bachelor of Science in English with a Concentration in Creative Writing and an Emphasis in Poetry (Yes, that's the full title because I'm a geek). Here is an example of an early (but not earliest) poem.





I’m assuming my work got better, because I did pretty well in my program. :)

My original career goal was to be a hockey beat writer at a newspaper. Preferably a newspaper in Detroit, so I could write about my beloved Detroit Red Wings. My earliest writing was articles about hockey in general, and the Wings in particular. I watched or listened to every game I could (even the French radio broadcasts of Montreal games). I wrote articles about issues and players that were of interest to me. I kept stats on EVERY game...



^^stats notebook circa 1988^^


^^stats notebooks in the early 90's^^

After 20+ years, I am revealing my inner geek...on the Internet.

Those original articles gave me a great idea! Write articles, summarize scores around the NHL and record it on a cassette! And with that - my Hockey Center Broadcasts were born. 





I feel really bad for my uncle who had to listen to these taped broadcasts. I don’t know if he really did, or if he just told me he did - and I don’t need to know. It was the fun of writing, recording and having the guts to hand it over to let someone listen.

I still get puppy-peeing-on-the-floor-giddy with excitement about the writing. There’s a thrill about creating characters and writing scenes. Why is giving it to someone to read so difficult now, when years ago I was begging for the attention?

Because my uncle was a safe environment. I knew he wasn’t going to tell me how bad they were - and they were bad! >.< But putting myself out there now isn’t a safe environment. It’s going to be rejection and criticism. I've developed a tough skin since my childhood years. Not saying it will be fun, but it will help me learn the craft and get better at doing what I have always loved to do. And that’s the point, right?

Geeking out on hockey is how I got my start. How did you get yours?



* * *

Wendy Bennetta proud Detroit native, is a NA writer who fell in love with reading, writing and hockey all before she became a teenager. She did not, however, fall in love with snow. So after graduating with an English degree from Central Michigan University, she moved to the warmth of North Carolina for the remainder of her winters.

Wendy spends her days chasing after her two, high-energy sons and writing things she wants to read. When she’s not chasing her crazy kids or pecking away at her laptop, she enjoys reading, watching her beloved Detroit Red Wings, and rocking out at concerts with her husband.

She is currently working on her first novel, a contemporary New Adult romance featuring a hot hockey player hero.

Tweet her: www.twitter.com/wmb313
Be her friend: www.facebook.com/wendy.bennettauthor.5
Stop by her website & blog: www.wendymbennett.com

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful start! Made me laugh and remember. I used to submerge in the pool and think of all kinds of mythological stories, believing I was Neptunia. Then my English teacher asked the class to write a story based on a gloomy and foggy Big Ben, and I was hooked. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria Elena! I love that you thought up underwater mythical stories. I would've dreamed I'd been been eaten my Nessie (b/c I am afraid of bodies of water). ;)

      Delete
    2. Lol. Good luck with your pitch in NOLA. Show them you are the best!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, thank you!! Fingers crossed. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! My earliest writing was inspired by books like The Rescuers and Rabbit Hill, where animals were the main characters. I loved writing stories about talking animals, especially mice, and I even drew my own illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, how cool! Have you thought about re-visiting and writing children's books? That would be awesome. As a kid, I wrote a family of dust bunny looking things. Very odd... :)

      Delete
  3. I was nodding and smiling reading that first poem and seeing your mention of the Red Wings. They need to have you come drop the puck or do whatever they do to honor their fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, if you have any insider friends that could make that happen, send them my way! haha! I was the girl that wanted my husband to propose on the big screen at a hockey game. He didn't. Oh well...I can write it into a book. ;)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your book and GEEK ON I say...GEEK. ON! Loved your post and the look back to where it all started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deb, I've definitely Geek-ed On. I don't have the time to keep up writing stats in notebooks anymore, but I can pop out a horrible poem if anyone wants me to! :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you all for sharing your stories, or sharing kind words. It's always fun looking back... and to the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's so neat, Wendy, that you wanted to be a hockey beat writer! That is so cool! I don't remember exactly how I started--I was a voracious reader as a kid and I think it just naturally stemmed from that. I think it was my high school English teacher who put the "writer" seed in my head though, but I only started seriously writing when I was in my late 20s, after I had my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gisele! I'm a hockey geek to the core. ;) I agree, all the reading makes you want to write. You realize - hey, I have a story to tell!

      Delete
  7. Very inspirational post. It's good to get back to why we started writing in the first place. And what made us start. And certainly a love for something--whatever that is--will make some of us want to write. My first writings were about horses--always horses. So it fits that both my historical romances have a horse theme of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I love it. You write what you know and love, right? It makes writing fun and easy*. And I use that * not because the craft is easy, but it's easy to get excited about what we love. :)

      Delete